Where can I go?

Via Erasmus+

We have the following number of places at the following partner universities:

  • Erasmus+ English department partners:
  • Cardiff in Wales (2 places for 10 months)
  • Cork in Ireland (2 places for 10 months)
  • Aberdeen in Scotland (2 places for 5 months)
  • Malta (3 places for 6 months)
  • Timiosoara in Romania (1 student for 5 months)
  • Klaipeda in Lithuania (2 places for 6 months)
  • Firenze in Italy (2 places for 6 months)

As a university as a whole, we do have other partners of whom you may have heard (Newcastle, for example), but those are with other departments and would have to be applied to via them.

To see our departmental application procedure, go to this page 

Other Options

The Deutscher Akademischer Auslandsdienst (DAAD) offer support for those who wish to go abroad to study, to work, or to be a teaching assistant, among others. Go to their website for further information at https://www.uni-rostock.de/internationales/ins-ausland/studium-im-ausland/ or http://www.daad.de

Many forms of work experience (Praktikum) abroad are often most readily available via online searches, particularly social media and are not directly coordinated by our department (though we will happily assist you in the process with forms, letters of reference, etc, where possible).

A list of the Northern American partner universities that have received Rostock students:

  • East Tennessee State University
  • North Carolina State University
  • University of Georgia
  • University of Nebraska
  • University of Utah
  • University of Wyoming
  • University of Guelph (Canada)
  • University of Saskatchewan (Canada)

There are also other partners in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, China, Japan, South Korea, Russia, and South Africa. For further information, visit the International House team.

Applications for these should be directed to the International Office, which will deal with them (i.e. invite you for an interview and so on). The application deadline is normally around the start of November.

Will I lose time from my studies?

You should plan to do the mobility for the sake of your own development, but with effective planning, if you take courses close in nature and in terms of assessment to our own English department courses, you will have these recognised (see course recognition form) to supplement or replace courses you would have taken at your home department.
For this reason, you should aim to leave in the winter when possible semester and not the summer semester for short-term mobilities -- within 6 months -- to ensure you can take part in the "B" modules with their accompanying assessment.
You should have already studied for 1 full year and plan to leave at least a year in advance (The further you plan to travel, the more time you should plan for organising your mobility owing to visa requirements, among other factors)

How much will it cost me?

There are sources of financial support available. For further and detailed information please see Mr Reinecker or Ms Frau von Wedelstedt at the IH as they have the most up to date information. Please note that mobility to a non-Erasmus partner requires more self-financing. For more information, see the following link:

Important Forms and Documents

Important Forms and Documents

The most up to date International House forms should be used and can be found here:


The following forms are internal English Department forms:

Erasmus+ Registration form

This form is necessary for registering for the upcoming round of Erasmus+ nominations. It should be completed to the best of your knowledge and sent to Mr Vaughan at mobility.iaa(at)uni-rostock(dot)de.

[more Details can be found here]

Accreditation Recognition Form

This form is necessary for showing Mr Bowen and Mr Vaughan which course(s) you intend to take abroad and how they relate as closely as possible to an equivalent course(s) at our home institute in terms of both content and assessment.

[more Details can be found here]

LPA Accreditation Recognition Form

This form is necessary for our home department to show the LPA how courses you have taken abroad will be accredited at Rostock in accordance to our program and mark-scheme.

 [more Details can be found here]